The Camp at Axedale was created as an initiative of the Rotary Club of Bendigo who saw the need for a youth camp in the Bendigo Region.
The camp was initially opened in 1948 with the plan to provide recreational facilities for the needy children following the 2nd World War, the first guests were however a party of Young Farmers.
In 1959 with the assistance of the Y's Men’s Club an outdoor chapel was added to the site.
A recreational hall was added in 1961 at a cost of $2,000.
By 1963 over 1,600 young people were using the camp each year.
During 1968-69 a new dining hall was added at a total cost of $8,700 with $4,300 coming form a Government Grant. At this time the cost to attend a weekend at the camp was 25 cents per person.
It was around 1971 when power, phone and a septic system were made available to the camp.
Thirty years on the camp has undergone a number of changes thanks to Rotarians and volunteers from the District 9800 which stretches from metropolitan Melbourne to the Murray at Echuca. Camp Getaway now includes modern dormitory style accommodation, a number of 2 bedroom units along with the a Kitchen, Dining Room, Lounge and Games Room.